|SongSisters: Amy, Patti, Sue, & Claudia
|12/20/12, photo by David Sameshima
... and on to 2013!
What a year 2012 turned out to be!
I had some songs place in a major song contest (see below)... played a lot of diverse, fun, and interesting shows... and shared
the stage with some stellar musicians. The latter two were definite goals for this year, and I'm pleased that, amongst
the many unkept resolutions, these most important ones were kept.
Recently -- 12/20/12, the
night before the world was rumored to be ending, yet again -- I hosted and mc'd a SuperStorm Sandy Benefit Concert
at Uncommon Ground (Devon location) in Chicago. We raised over $1,000, all of which went to American Red Cross for Hurrican
Sandy Relief Aid. SO many talented performers donated their time and shared their talents; the enthusiastic audience
sang along, and all gave generously. I'll include some pictures here.
Wishing everyone a joyous, music-filled
[Earlier news] Recently my song "Boys are So Sensitive"
was selected as a "Top 5" winner in the Folk/Americana category of the 13th annual Great American Song Contest,
so I get to display this cool banner:
(click the pic to go to that page)
In addition, "Tracking System" -- which was a finalist in Big Top
Chatauqua's "Celebration of the Song" songwriting competition in 2011 -- placed as a finalist in GASC's
contest this year too:
Both songs are on my Thoughts at an Intersection album; you can hear samples (or buy!) at CDBaby, iTunes,
Amazon, etc. -- my Music page has more info.
Other highlights: I'll just mention a few of my favorite shows so far this year:
* Opening for Michael Smith at Lake County Folk Club;
* Playing an "Omnichord Extravaganza" show with
Heather Styka (the Omnichord is like an electric autoharp);
* Playing several shows with popular and talented violinist Jordi
* Playing several shows with SongSisters (me, Amy Dixon-Kolar, Patti Shaffner, and our recent Special Guest Claudia Anderson -- we add harmonies to each other's songs and cover songs as well);
* Playing a very special show, "Songs of
Love and Longing," with Mark Dvorak and Donna Adler;
... and many more!
Lots of cool shows coming up, too. Even as I work on my new website design, my Calendar is always up-to-date... check it out!
|SuperStorm Sandy Benefit, "Under the Boardwalk"!
|photo by David Sameshima, 12/20/12
|Sue @Uncommon Ground, 8/14/2011
|photo by David Sameshima
added a new Video page! Also, here are some other video links:
Damsel in Distress,
complete with railroad tracks, villain, etc:* Right here on my Music page (if problems viewing, see next link)
* YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QyUnTWg0p8* Vimeo (for PCs that can view higher resolutions): http://vimeo.com/1679123Thoughts at an Intersection, title song of the new CD:
here on my Calendar page
* YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwa4Zb6SgWo10/25/09 CD Release Show, w/"Bruce Springsteen"! (well, kind
The video is pretty dark, it's manipulated somewhat but... still, you'll get an
idea of the amazing fun of that evening, as I call out to "Springsteen," and he and I perform together!
* YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_10OwuBFs0
* Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/14054449
Please check my Calendar page for frequent updates. I love playing at new venues and joining other musicians in various showcases as well.
you can 'like' me on Facebook! Just click on the pic:
The Folk Show w/Ron Lewis: Listen to our 6/21/09 interview at http://www.wnur.org/folk/?p=428 - just scroll below the nice picture of me (by Terry MacNamara, w/Mary Lewis) and click the little triangle button to
begin the podcast.
* Click the link to hear me discuss my songwriting process on Steve Meier's
Chicago Songwriter's Podcast. You may also be interested to learn how different the process can be for different people (listen to the other episodes,
too!). We each play several songs as well as discuss what works for us, our influences, etc. Also, I've put links to many of the people I mention in the podcast...